• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chicagofan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

I was driving on US 70 going west and entered the town of Soper, Oklahoma, which has a speed limit of 45.

I was behind a driver who decided to turn right onto another road. It only has one lane for each side, although a couple of blocks before she plans to turn, another lane is there for you to turn. (basically going from a 2 lane to a three lane with two on our side)

Another vehicle is parked on the lane where she should have turned onto so she was just going to turn from the left lane. She never turned her blinker on or slowed down. When she got side-by-side of where she plans to turn, she just slammed on her breaks and I bumped into her unable to stop in time.

The vehicle that was parked in the road disappeared.

After calling a trooper, I got a ticket for following to closely. I was curious as to what the fine will be and how it will affect my insurance and any other information that will help.

Never had a ticket or been the guilty party of an accident before.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

she just slammed on her breaks and I bumped into her unable to stop in time.
Your fault, following too closely, and unable to stop in enough time not to hit the person in front of you.

The vehicle that was parked in the road disappeared.
Not his fault, he was stopped and did not contribute in any way.

After calling a trooper, I got a ticket for following to closely. I was curious as to what the fine will be and how it will affect my insurance
How are we supposed to know? how much your ticket will cost?
How much damage did you do to the car you hit? Are you going through your insurance? I don't think you have anything to worry about. Its not that serious.

Chicagofan

Your fault, following too closely, and unable to stop in enough time not to hit the person in front of you.
I agree that it is my fault.

Not his fault, he was stopped and did not contribute in any way.
Not stopped, it was 'parked', there was no driver in the vehicle. It was just parked in the right lane while the owner was eating or whatever in the cafe next to the road.

I assume that just parking your vehicle in the highway and leaving is illegal? It should have got a ticket for disrupting traffic and parking in the road or something. Prevented the person in front of me from getting in the right lane to turn.

How are we supposed to know? how much your ticket will cost?
How much damage did you do to the car you hit? Are you going through your insurance? I don't think you have anything to worry about. Its not that serious.
I just assumed there was some average amount that it costs. There wasn't much damage. Insurance is covering the damage and believe first accident forgiveness applies.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">