• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental car loss of use

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IdahoEv

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was in an accident in a rental car some time back, and I'm concerned with how the rental car company figured their "loss of use" fee.

Instead of charging me for the actual days the car was in the shop, they took the number of labor hours the mechanic billed them, divided that by four, and called that "days". Thus, a 58 hour repair job was turned into "14.7 days" even though the repairs could quite possibly have been done in two or three days if more than one mechanic was working on it. This means they're charging me LOU for over two weeks, when for all I know they actually had the car back on the rental lot in three days.

This seems like an entirely unreasonable way to compute a loss of use fee - the actual time the car spent in the shop would be any rational person's assumption of the fair number. Moreover, the contract I signed with the rental car company does not spell out in advance that they will use this completely counterintuitive calculation.

Am I within my rights to protest this, and if so what avenue should I use? Or are they allowed to use any calculation they like even if they don't spell it out in the contract?

Thanks for any advice!

(I'm in California, but the rental, accident, and repair all occurred Nebraska.)

Last edited:

ecmst12

Typically shops can complete about 5 labor hours per day on any particular job. 4 hours is a lazy shop - or a busy (understaffed) one.

I would argue that you're not responsible for loss of use at ALL unless they had no other cars to rent and can prove they lost revenue because of the time in the shop.

IdahoEv

I would argue that you're not responsible for loss of use at ALL unless they had no other cars to rent and can prove they lost revenue because of the time in the shop.
I would feel that way as well, but their contract clearly states they will charge a LOU fee, regardless of fleet utilization. Since I signed that contract, I figure I'm stuck with that.

It's the arbitrary way they compute the lost days that still bothers me.

ecmst12

It's not arbitrary, it's industry standard to calculate either 4 or 5 labor hours per day (5 is more common). Maybe you can negotiate it down to 5/day instead of 4.

Labtec600

I would tell them to take the loss of use charges and shove them up their a__.

I highly doubt they lost 14 days of use out of the vehicle. As said above, I'm sure they had plenty of vehicles on the lot to rent and were not missing this vehicle.

Labtec600

Also, what were the damages/estimate? 58 hours is a pretty good amount of time.

Was 58 on the estimate written by the shop or just a number that the rental company gave to you?

ecmst12

Most rental cars from major companies are less then 2 years old, and most of them get ridiculous discounts from their repair shops.

JustAPal00

You can replace a whole lot of parts in 58 hours. They don't fix anything anymore, they replace it with new. The labor is a small part of the bill, parts are the biggest expense. I'm just saying it probably wasn't a KIA.

ecmst12

You don't actually know anything about auto body repair, do you? It depends on the type of damage, whether parts are repaired or replaced. And it depends on the type of labor (mechanical vs body vs paint labor) how much the labor itself costs. Labor cost could easily be greater then parts cost with a repair this long. Besides, the discounts the shops give rental companies usually applies to the parts AND the labor.

I would doubt that this is the cheapest category rental, but even a 2 year old Kia could be worth repairing; the value is still over $10k.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">