• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should my neighbor pay for this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usafdrew

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

All the homes on my street are the same and all have a buried pipe running from an underground french drain in the back yard to the gutter in the front. All the homes are also zero lot line with one side of the home built on the property line. My neighbor's drain pipe has been broken underground toward her front/side yard. However, since these are zero lot line properties, my front yard is developing a sinkhole as the broken pipe washes away the soil every time it rains. It almost looks as if my neighbor's pipe is buried under my front yard very close to the property line. I am certain that it is my neighbor's pipe and not mine as I have the construction layout for my home showing my pipe is on the other side of my home.

This sinkhole is getting worse and I do not want to pay a contractor to dig in GA clay to fix this when it isn't even my pipe. Can I legally get the neighbor to repair the pipe so I don't have a giant hole in my lawn? If so, I can pretty much garantee this neighbor won't fix it out of courtesy. What should I say in a letter to 'demand' this be fixed?

Thanks!

TigerD

Given the problems that you and your neighbor have been having, it is probably time to visit a local attorney. After the last issue, there is no chance she is going to work with you.

DC

csi7

Has the problem been resolved yet? If not, since the pipes are placed in requirement of local building codes, have the code enforcement officers do a visual inspection of the pipe and problem. Their inspection will provide information that you do not have yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">