• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I tell the Truth?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amandab71

PA, I was involved in an accident about a year in a half ago. I was the passenger but was said to be the driver. Went to court for some traffic violations, and it was brought up that I was not really the driver. Escaped without any trouble. The said passenger who was really the driver is now sueing me for pain and suffering in a civil case. Do I tell the truth, or do I continue on with the lie to save myself. I am facing criminal charges in another case for false information and charges to that degree, so this could intern hurt me worse than what I am already facing. The driver of the other vehichle is also being sued. He knows the truth and may decide to tell, but he also testified under oath that I was the driver, so this could hurt him as well...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

PA, I was involved in an accident about a year in a half ago. I was the passenger but was said to be the driver. Went to court for some traffic violations, and it was brought up that I was not really the driver. Escaped without any trouble. The said passenger who was really the driver is now sueing me for pain and suffering in a civil case. Do I tell the truth, or do I continue on with the lie to save myself. I am facing criminal charges in another case for false information and charges to that degree, so this could intern hurt me worse than what I am already facing. The driver of the other vehichle is also being sued. He knows the truth and may decide to tell, but he also testified under oath that I was the driver, so this could hurt him as well...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I don't think anyone here is going to advise you to lie in court.

amandab71

I suppose I am searching more for what my consequences include, or how I can go about handling this. I do not want to lie, I just need a good way to handle the situation that has been created.

ecmst12

Tell the truth. Why did you lie in the first place? Was it to help out the ACTUAL driver who is now suing you for the accident that she caused? This is what lying gets you.

You have an attorney for your criminal case right? Ask his advice.

amandab71

I understand where lieing gets me. At the point when I was questioned of who was driving I was pulled out of a vehicle that was totalled into a pond. I was in shock, when I lied everyone around went with my story so I would not get into trouble. I was also protecting the driver, not wise on my part. I am now a victim of my own stupitidy and am not the person that I was then.

Proserpina

I understand where lieing gets me. At the point when I was questioned of who was driving I was pulled out of a vehicle that was totalled into a pond. I was in shock, when I lied everyone around went with my story so I would not get into trouble. I was also protecting the driver, not wise on my part. I am now a victim of my own stupitidy and am not the person that I was then.
And now, unfortunately for you, you're going to have to accept the consequences.

You need to tell the truth. But please, consult with your attorney - s/he is the only one who knows your case.

amandab71

I am fully ready to accept the consequences that I face. It is funny how things come back around. The real driver apparently doesn't realize what type of trouble he is internly getting himself into by sueing me. I suppose it will all come out in the wash, and after this is over I can have this weight of relief lifted off of my shoulders by doing the right thing. And the real driver will be unsuccessfull in his attempts to sue me for something that didn't actually happen to him.

Proserpina

I am fully ready to accept the consequences that I face. It is funny how things come back around. The real driver apparently doesn't realize what type of trouble he is internly getting himself into by sueing me. I suppose it will all come out in the wash, and after this is over I can have this weight of relief lifted off of my shoulders by doing the right thing. And the real driver will be unsuccessfull in his attempts to sue me for something that didn't actually happen to him.
You made me smile there - yes, it will indeed all come out in the wash.

ecmst12

This is obviously a bigger issue then simply being found an uncredible witness, since OP is facing criminal charges.

amandab71

Apparently my car insurance is going to hire me an attorney. The attorney they hire is to represent me, although this attorney is going to obviously going to be representing my car insurance as well. I'm thinking I need to hire a personal attorney to handle the matter. If I am unable to afford one, and this is not yet a criminal case am I entitled to any type of public defender?

ecmst12

No public defenders for civil cases. But the insurance attorney will represent your interests as well as the insurance company's. You should not need to hire private counsel unless after you meet with the lawyer, you don't feel confident in him for some reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">