• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Deductible and Betterment - CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr. CreePer

A few weeks ago my wife was involved in a car accident. The other driver ran a stop sign and hit her, damaging the whole left side of our car. His insurance company admitted fault but stated that there was a limits issue [$5,000.00] and to contact my insurance company to take care of my car.
I did so, and it is as been sent to have damage appraised and repaired. My insurance company said they will not waive my deductible and there are also $280 in betterment charges that I have to pay for trim pieces.
Shouldn't the other drivers company have to pay for all of this since he was at fault? And my car is only 3 years old and was kept in excellent condition. Why am I being charged for parts that wouldn't need replacing for years?
Thanks in advance for any responses.

ecmst12

You shouldn't be getting charged the FULL amount for those pieces, just a percentage representing the amount of useful life left on them. You had used pieces and now will have new ones - BETTER then before the accident. The other insurance company won't pay for the betterment either.

You should hopefully get all or part of your deductible back when your insurance company subrogates against the other insurance company. This can of course take time, but in the meantime you get to get your car fixed now.

Mr. CreePer

Thank you for the quick response.
I understand why I'm getting these charges, I was just hoping that it was probable that his insurance company would pay for them. I guess not. It's just frustrating having to pay so much right now when I don't have the money and for an accident that was not our fault.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply.

ecmst12

You can call the other insurance company and ask if they would be willing to reimburse your deductible directly to you now, instead of waiting until the subrogation is complete. They might not be willing to do it, but then again they might, can't hurt to ask.

Mr. CreePer

Follow up to my betterment issue.
Has I said, I'm being charged almost $300 for betterment. But, since my car was damaged severely, if I ever wanted to sell it, it's lost major value. If the new parts they are putting on my car don't offset the loss in value, can I still be charged for it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">