• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

abutter installed fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

munroet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

A developement is being built behind our house. There is a right of way road next to our property to enter the developement. The 1st owner promised us a living fence (trees) to line our property as a buffer. ( Trees were already there, and were removed to install the road).
The city only required a fence, and the 2nd owner installed a cheap stockade fence, against our wishes. We had even offered to pay for the trees ourselves.
We have found out that the fence is on OUR land, and we are required to maintain it.
My question: can the city give permission to a developer to install a fence on MY LAND without my being informed or giving my permission? The only help the city will give is, they will require the fence removed, exposing our property to cars and thus losing all of our privacy.

154NH773

We have found out that the fence is on OUR land, and we are required to maintain it.
Who says you must maintain it, and what reason do they give?

can the city give permission to a developer to install a fence on MY LAND without my being informed or giving my permission?
NO.

The only help the city will give is, they will require the fence removed, exposing our property to cars and thus losing all of our privacy.
It is unfortunate, but that is probably all you can expect from the city unless there were specifications in the subdivision plans or permits for the development. You may have had the opportunity to comment when the issue was brought to the Planning Board. If you failed to attend, then you are again out of luck.

csi7

Were the trees ever replaced? If the only thing that was placed back up was the cheap fence on your land and the plan was to place trees back in the area where the fence was placed, the trees can be planted in the place where the fence is removed and the cost paid for by the developer. Would check all the agencies involved with this matter and find the one which signed off on the trees inclusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">