• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I out of line here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

studentme

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My mother was remarried to my step dad. My mom and my step dad gave information to the the FASA student loan program in order to get a parent-student loan for me to go to school.

Since then, they have divorced.

My mom was stuck with this loan, as there was no mention in it in the divorce.

Is my step dad still liable to help pay this?

What can I do to help get him to pay this, if he is in fact obligated because he took loan with his resourses.

My mom's name is on the loan as a parent child loan, but he gave his tax return as proof of income in order to get the loan.

Can I go after him for these payments/ Can my mom?

Antigone*

My mother was remarried to my step dad. My mom and my step dad gave information to the the FASA student loan program in order to get a parent-student loan for me to go to school.

What can I do to help get him to pay this, if he is in fact obligated because he took loan with his resourses.

My mom's name is on the loan as a parent child loan, but he gave his tax return as proof of income in order to get the loan.

Yes you are out of line. Your step father is a legal stranger and owes you nothing. Help mom pay off the loan by getting a job.

Proserpina

(In addition to Wireless's perfectly accurate response)

No and no - using family income to determine eligibility does not mean everyone in the family is responsible for repayment.

The only people responsible for the loan are the people who signed on that dotted line - in this case, your mother. Even if your step-father had co-signed for the loan it really would have to have been taken care of in the divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">