• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I think I caused and accident w/o insurance. What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nicholas_navock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was in an accident pulling across two lanes of traffic making a left turn. There was a car waiting for me to pull out in the first lane, so I pulled inched passed this car to see any additional oncoming traffic. I saw a car coming and didn't go any further. This car didn't see me and hit me. Do I have any chance of proofing his gross negligence in small claims court? Would it behoove me to go into court assuming it is my fault?

I also didn't have insurance. How long will my license be suspended? Am I going to be able to get a provisional license for work?

I don't have the $6100 that I'm being sued for. I lost my 2nd job 3 days before this happened. I'm netting $1800 and my bills are $2100. My bills include rent, auto-loan, insurance, :), phone, two credit card payments, one attorney loan, food, and gas.

What documentation do I need to bring in order to set up a payment plan? Is there anything in my budget that the judge will throw out or consider irrelevant?

I know my mistake is stupid, and now I have insurance. I'm just lost. I don't know what to do. Please help.

ecmst12

You are completely at fault for the accident. Your license will be suspended for 1 year and you will, I believe, need to file an SR22 for several years. Better start looking for things you can sell or ways you can cut back on your bills so you can pay for the damage you caused. Seriously, cutting across 2 lanes of traffic to make a left turn? Stop driving until you learn how.

nicholas_navock

Please do us a favor...

...step in front of a bus.

Your response was completely unnecessary. You've told nothing more than any Regular Joe on the street has already told me. You should really reconsider where you are spending your time because you are wasting it.

racer72

Your response was completely unnecessary. You've told nothing more than any Regular Joe on the street has already told me. You should really reconsider where you are spending your time because you are wasting it.
The answer you received is the exact same thing 99.7% of the attorneys in the US would have told you. Guess all those regular Joes are pretty smart.

Country Living

I was in an accident pulling across two lanes of traffic making a left turn. There was a car waiting for me to pull out in the first lane, so I pulled inched passed this car to see any additional oncoming traffic. I saw a car coming and didn't go any further. This car didn't see me and hit me. Do I have any chance of proofing his gross negligence in small claims court? Would it behoove me to go into court assuming it is my fault?
And the answer is:
You are completely at fault for the accident.
I also didn't have insurance. How long will my license be suspended? Am I going to be able to get a provisional license for work?
The answer is:
Your license will be suspended for 1 year and you will, I believe, need to file an SR22 for several years.
I don't have the $6100 that I'm being sued for. I lost my 2nd job 3 days before this happened. I'm netting $1800 and my bills are $2100. My bills include rent, auto-loan, insurance, :), phone, two credit card payments, one attorney loan, food, and gas.
The answers continue...
Better start looking for things you can sell or ways you can cut back on your bills so you can pay for the damage you caused.
I know my mistake is stupid, and now I have insurance. I'm just lost. I don't know what to do. Please help.
Listen very carefully - you got lucky. What if you would have seriously injured or killed someone because of your careless act? Do you think you could just shrug your shoulders and tell them you didn't want to be inconvenienced to follow state law that requires liability insurance so they were on their own for medical and funeral bills?

Grow up.

ecmst12

The person who you damaged and the judge don't give a hoot what your expenses are. Their position will be that you should have thought of that when you decided to let your insurance lapse. Not only will your license be suspended for a year, it won't be reinstated until you have paid your debt in full or at least kept up with a payment schedule for a while (and if you stop paying, back on suspension you go). You need to seriously reexamine your priorities and don't expect anyone to take pity on you. The other party is the victim here, you are the bad guy. If you think we've been hard on you, wait till you get to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">