• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TX Tug-of-War

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

ISSOACS

This may sound trite, however it is very important to me. I adopted a stray kitten 9 months ago, he was starved with a bloated belly, and seriously neglected. I have been feeding it twice a day and taking care of it since then. All of the sudden one of my neighbors came over and took him, from my yard no less, claiming that it was her cat, that her other cat was the mother. I understand it's possible, but I'm not sure she can prove it, just as I can't "prove" that he was my cat. I also let her know the circumstances under which I adopted him, the starvation and neglect, and she avoided that fact, and refused to relent. I even offered her money, but she refused that too. Can anyone offer me advice on the laws concerning pets as property? Is there anything I can do to "prove" that he is my cat, or make my "adoption" legal, providing that she can't prove the cat is her's, without taking her to court? (which I don't plan on doing, by the way) Is there any law saying that if I took him to the vet and got his shots, or got him a collar (he's never had one), that I would be the legal owner of him? As it is, I'm out 9 months of catfood, and I have to explain all of this to my 5-year old, who adores that cat.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I could give you all the law, and all the reasons, both pro and con, concerning animal law. However, if you don't plan on taking her to court, what would be the use ?

Go the the "pound" and pick out another animal (cat?). There's one there that could really use a home, and would love you and your child unconditionally.

IAAL

I

ISSOACS

I would love to hear it...

IAAL, thank you for your reply;
"Pinto Bean" (the name we gave him), came back tonight looking for food. I just can't not feed him, when he comes over. Please, I would like to hear what you have to say on the matter of law concerning pets as property, I guess that's what you'd call it. He has become a very special part of our lives. And, if our neighbor were to take me to court I would certainly fight for him. I would just like to know what I could do or say, or if I actually had a leg to stand on, so to speak.

[Edited by ISSOACS on 03-24-2001 at 11:07 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">