• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor puts chain across egress..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

countryland

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona
I own property with frontage and the neighbors use a public road to access there property. However there is another road on the other side of everyone's property for egress to access the irrigation ditch. The Ditch stops at the beginning of my property in the back but the road continues to the frontage. My Neighbor annoyed by the traffic from people taking a short cut using the irrigation road put a chain up on my frontage without asking me. Now I am worried if someone does not see this chain and runs into it on a quad or dirt bike who is liable? I have suggested putting up a gate and another neighbor agrees with the idea but the neighbor in question wants to just have a chain.. Just a note, everyone can access the road from the back of their property, the front entrance for the egress is a luxury, not a necessity.

Last edited:

drewguy

Please clarify:

1) Is the access/egress road on your property?
2) Is that road subject to an easement giving you/others rights to use it?

154NH773

The neighbor has no right to place a chain on your property without your permission. If you allow the chain, and someone does get hurt, you could be held liable.
You need to answer drew. Does an easement exist, and what are its conditions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">