• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Exculpatory Statements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

victorssw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

Is it illegal to make false statements to an insurance company who is investigating a claim?

Is it illegal to attribute statements which are false to the investigating insurance company? Such as "the officer said he was going to void the ticket, and that it was not my fault" which the offending driver did say to my insurance company.

The police officer, in this non injury, fender damage accident said "you may leave now(me), I know whom I am finding at fault and writing the ticket to..."

The officer will not be in until tomorrow(wed) so I have not been able to see the accident report. Nor verify that a ticket was issued, even though the accident occurred last friday evening. Left front damage by contacting right rear whell of a uhaul as it made a turn in front of me from the inside line(left)
into the parking lot on the right. Both of us travelling the same direction. I was in the lane to the right of the truck and he just turned in front of me, crossing my lane and cutting me off. To me an obvious fault find situation. The only damage to the uhaul was a tear on the tire. BTW he did not take insurance on the rental. He does have liability through Auto1(AutoOne) Ins.
So far my dealings with this company have been full of obfuscation on my part. Should I just turn this over to my insurance co(Farmers) and let them handle it? The adjuster from Auto1 is coming by tomorrow afternoon...suggestions?

Thank You

ecmst12

You should let your insurance handle this because U-haul is going to continue to be difficult to deal with. If you want your car fixed now, then let your insurance company take care of you and let them deal with U-haul.

It's not illegal to lie to an adjuster, they are not courts of law, lying is not perjury. People lie all the time. The police report and ticket or lack thereof is not as relevent as the actual facts of the accident - the police report is just another person who did not witness the accident writing down what people told him.

victorssw

Thank You...not wanting money...I really just want my car fixed quickly....so which ins company is ultimately going to be responsible U-Haul or the offending driver who also has liability insurance....he probably wants it pushed off to the U-Haul company, thus the obfuscation. The uhaul manager saw the accident(it happened out in front of his business) and his statements and mine are identical...implicating the other driver. Also, the uhaul representative said "don't worry" if his insurance won't cover Uhaul will. I really do not understand why uhaul would be responsible at all.

When I do get the police report should I fax it over to Auto1(his),Farmers(mine) and uhaul?

Also, any word of advice on handling his(auot1) insurance adjuster who will be coming by tomorrow?

Again, Thank You.

ecmst12

Faxing the police report to the insurance companies will be helpful.

The appraiser is just going to look at the damage. Leave him alone and let him do his job. He won't be able to tell you anything about the status of the investigation.

victorssw

Will fax the police report to all three
I think I'll offer the adjuster a soda pop....and leave him do his job...he comes into our small town from about 30miles away, so I'll stay out his way.

Already got a detailed private estimate....any usefulness at this point?

Again Thank You

ecmst12

Nah, the insurance company is going to go with their estimate. You'll give their estimate to your shop and if the shop has any issues, they'll work it out with the insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">