• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StellaTerra

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California

Two months ago I was driving a friends car and I was in an accident. He was skateboarding down the street and hit a rock or something and fell directly in front of my car. I was stopped at the time, and didn't see him fall and I ran over his head while taking a right turn. I didn't see him as I was pulling away but I turned around because I felt the bump. He lost a number of teeth but was able to walk around afterward. The police came and asked me a bunch of questions and then breathalyzered me (I came up 0.00) and faulted him in the accident.

Today I received a piece of mail from the law office of Hiepler & Hiepler, referring to the accident and asking that I forward the letter to my insurance agent. But because it wasn't my car, I don't have my own insurance. Should I send it to the insurance agent of the person of the person who's car I was driving? Am I legally required to talk to them at all, given that I was not faulted by the police? I have no money and no way of getting a lawyer, nor for that matter any insurance to get at, so why would he hire a lawyer to come after me? Also, I'm a student and don't really have the time to deal with any of this, is there some way I can get past it without paying money or spending time on it?

Thank you so much for your advice.

ecmst12

Yes, you need to advise the owner's insurance of the claim and give them your statement; they will provide you with an attorney (if a suit has been filed) and defend you against any claims.

ecmst12

Could have happened to you driving your own car...if you have good insurance and you trust your friend to operate with reasonable care, there is no reason not to lend your car out once in a while. If you DON'T trust your friends, well that's a different issue :)

butterflyrodeo

Too messy.
I borrowed my Dad's Bronco years ago and parked it in front of my grandmother's house. Her neighbor sideswiped it. I borrowed my brother's truck and it blew a piston on the highway. I was on a long road trip and the owner of the van asked me to drive. 5 minutes later, the engine blew up. My brother borrowed my 1969 Camaro and went four wheeling. That's quite enough for me, thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">