• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appearing in Court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phoebebeesly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I got into an accident a few weeks ago on the Atlanta highway. Fortunately, no one was injured but I have to appear in court. My citation number wouldn't process currently online and it took several days of phone calls to figure out my court date. The time was one I absolutely couldn't make - since it was during a college exam that my professor would not change. So, I mailed in a letter asking for a date change.
Well, a few days ago, my letter came back to me. I'm not sure what happened in the mail. Unfortunately, it came back to me the day before my scheduled court appearance (October 28). I've found out that I now have to show up at court before 8:00am and pay $100 just to be seen in front of the judge. I have a few questions:

- Will there already be a warrant out for my arrest? I'm not sure if I'm allowed to drive or not to court.
- I've since lost my citation slip. Will I be charged hundreds of dollars extra for this? What should I do?
- Is there any way to dispute that $100 no-show charge?
- Should I plead guilty or no contest? I'm not sure which is the safer best.

Thank you so much! This is my first ever traffic ticket or any type of auto accident, and I'm extremely worried about my court appearance.

butterflyrodeo

I have always found the best results happen when I am honest with the judge and him/her ask for mercy.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">