• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which State to File in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jb22b4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island + Connecticut

I rented an apartment in Rhode Island, but the rental agency is out of Connecticut. I have had no contact with the actual owners, all I know is their names. The agency has handled everything.

All transactions occured in Connecticut at the Rental Agency office. Things haven't gone well and I need to file a small claims case. Which state should I file in, and whom should I file against?

Thanks
jb

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island + Connecticut

I rented an apartment in Rhode Island, but the rental agency is out of Connecticut. I have had no contact with the actual owners, all I know is their names. The agency has handled everything.

All transactions occured in Connecticut at the Rental Agency office. Things haven't gone well and I need to file a small claims case. Which state should I file in, and whom should I file against?

Thanks
jb
What is the case regarding? What does your rental agreement state about the jurisdiction?

jb22b4

Case is regarding security deposit. They are witholding money for a light house cleaning. I was able to get the owner's address, which is out of state as well. The lease does not mention jurisdiction.

I'm thinking I should file in RI since thats where the apartment is, and go against the owner not the agency. Is this right?

Thanks,
jb

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Case is regarding security deposit. They are witholding money for a light house cleaning. I was able to get the owner's address, which is out of state as well. The lease does not mention jurisdiction.

I'm thinking I should file in RI since thats where the apartment is, and go against the owner not the agency. Is this right?

Thanks,
jb
That is what I would do unless the lease restricts jurisdiction to CT or somewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">