• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is my liability and best course of action?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

49ersfan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

My question involves criminal law for the state of: Florida

In Georgia, during my junior and senior year of college, I was buying and selling computers (all Macs, new and used) as a part time job. Each time I would buy a computer, I would ask how the individual got the computer, and I would check the serial number online to see if it registered as stolen.

I made money on the computers by either finding good deals or upgrading the computer components—specifically the RAM.

I moved to Vancouver, Washington about three months ago, and this morning, an officer came knocking on my door. He said a detective in Miami was looking to speak to me regarding a computer I sold "recently."

I haven't sold any computers in about 6-9 months, but I'm not sure of what to do.

What should my next course of action be? I called the detective in Florida back, but he has yet to return my call. Should I speak with him? Would they simply be seeking whomever sold me the computer? Should I seek an attorney and refuse to speak with the detective?

Thanks so much for any advice you could give on this matter.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

49ersfan

I simply don't want to accidentally incriminate myself or anything of the sort, as explained in this video: YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1

And if one of the computer's I sold were in any way tied to illegal activity, I want to know what my liability will be in the issue.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

JETX

And if one of the computer's I sold were in any way tied to illegal activity, I want to know what my liability will be in the issue.
So, now you think it is possible that you may not be as innocent as you first proclaimed, huh?
If you KNOW you are innocent, then there shouldn't be a problem talking with the detective.
If you believe you are NOT as innocent as you claim, then you might consider getting a LOCAL attorney and 'fessing up'. Then let him talk with the police.

49ersfan

JETX, while I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my question, your accusatory tone does nothing to move the conversation forward or help me in any way.

I can not verify the methods of the individuals I got the computer from. I asked them where they got them from, and so long as 1) They had a legal answer and 2) The computer serials came up clean, then I bought the computers.

As far as guilt and innocence, if there is a crime for selling goods that have been stolen, despite your attempts to verify them, and the computers were indeed stolen, then I could be guilty of that.

My problem is that I don't understand the laws surrounding the issue, and given my lack of understanding, I want to protect myself adequately.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
If you are that concerned then hire an attorney and be done with it.

I don't see it being a big deal to at least talk to this detective and find out what information he is looking for. Then you can decide what to do.

JETX

As far as guilt and innocence, if there is a crime for selling goods that have been stolen, despite your attempts to verify them, and the computers were indeed stolen, then I could be guilty of that.
Only if you did so KNOWINGLY.

Florida statutes:
812.019 Dealing in stolen property.--
(1) Any person who traffics in, or endeavors to traffic in, property that he or she knows or should know was stolen shall be guilty of a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Only if you did so KNOWINGLY.

Florida statutes:
812.019 Dealing in stolen property.--
(1) Any person who traffics in, or endeavors to traffic in, property that he or she knows or should know was stolen shall be guilty of a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in ss. 775.082, 775.083, and 775.084.
It appears that the crime actually occurred in Georgia...

JETX

It appears that the crime actually occurred in Georgia...
From the OP: "My question involves criminal law for the state of: Florida"
and "I called the detective in Florida back"

Even if the property was stolen in Georgia and subsequently sold in Florida, the crime of 'selling' would be prosecuted under Florida law (and courts).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From the OP: "My question involves criminal law for the state of: Florida"
and "I called the detective in Florida back"

Even if the property was stolen in Georgia and subsequently sold in Florida, the crime of 'selling' would be prosecuted under Florida law (and courts).
The computer was sold in Georgia: In Georgia, during my junior and senior year of college, I was buying and selling computers (all Macs, new and used) as a part time job.

That's all I'm sayin'...

49ersfan

Hey guys, thanks so much for the helpful advice.

As I haven't talked with the detective, I'm a little slim on details. He is from Miami, Florida, and I was selling the computers online while I was living in Georgia.

Hopefully that adds a little clarity to the confusion. My apologies for not explaining this more clearly.

I can't even find a computer I sold to anyone in Florida in the last two years, which I believe is the statute of limitations in this case.

HighwayMan

Why are you mentioning statute of limitations? You don't even know what the detective is investigating! For all you know it could be a murder case!

49ersfan

I guess that's a good point.

I think I will proceed with speaking to the detective and asserting my right to remain silent if anything seems fishy.

Thanks for your help so far. If you have any more advice, I welcome it.

HighwayMan

Without knowing any more details there is really nothing else anyone can tell you. You need to have a basic idea about what is going on. Keep us posted.

49ersfan

I ended up hiring an attorney. I spoke with the officer in Florida before doing this, and he was threatening and aggressive, so I found it best to speak with an attorney.

Essentially, a computer I sold was stolen, and they are determining what to do about it. For now, my attorney is working with authorities to convey the information I know in the best way possible.

Thanks for the advice. Here's to hoping it will all go well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">