• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

motorcycle accidents HELP ME?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tsiawdt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio
I was in two motorcycle accidents in 2006. I went to court and was awarded 250,000. The guy was only insured up to 12,500. Now my lawyers are telling me that i have to use that money to help pay off my med bills. the jury also awarded 35,000 to pay my medical bills. The man now lives in a rehab facility and doesn't have a penny to his name. My lawyers are telling me that since he has no way to pay the bills it has to come out of what little I actually got. So basically they want me to pay 35,000 to get hit by a truck. Is there something I can do about this? Its not my fault that he doesn't have a way to pay for it, I barley have any money to my name after prescriptions and surgery's. :confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

Yes, of COURSE you have to pay your medical bills before you get to put anything in your pocket. Why did you even bother with court for a guy with no assets?

tsiawdt

I did not find out about his situation until I was already in court. I still don't understand why I should have to pay my medical bills if he was ordered to pay them. So why doesn't the the bills get basically put in his name. Its not my fault he doesn't have the money I don't either

ecmst12

Because he did not receive the care, YOU did, and you are responsible to pay the bills. He is responsible to YOU, not to your doctors.

Did you have a lawyer? There is no excuse for your lawyer not doing an asset check and finding out his situation before proceeding to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">