• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Line Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kdhohio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I heard a vehicle driving on or near my property line this morning so I went out there to see what was going on. I noticed a bunch of new stakes between me and my north and west neighbor.

When I purchased the property over 10 years ago my property was surveyed. The line in question starts out to the east with a definite tree line as the divider between me and my neighbors hayfield. As it continues it turns into a heavily wooded area on both sides where the line visually gets hazy.

We've always gotten along with the neighbor so the definite line wasn't a problem. They cut hay as close as they could to the tree line and we cleaned up to where they stopped. Neither of us done anything with the woods. During hunting or hiking they would come over on me a little and I could go over on them a little. His son is in the timber business and a few times I have seen my trees not even close to the line marked. The neighbor always stated that he had no plans to have any timbering done so not to worry about it.

Now my neighbors children have had him declared incompetent. Of course there is a lot if fighting between his kids over selling, timbering, who is in charge etc. Then this morning I see his son driving away and I find the new markers. I am pretty sure some of the markers are 3-4 ft over the line. I'm not positive but it appears the back corner pin (which was placed by surveyor) has been moved.

My questions are: If they are planning on selling, timbering etc. Who's responsible to have the line surveyed? Because I know the son, I assume he is just going to do what he wants and hope I don't cause a fuss about it. Can I remove the stakes he placed this morning?

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to give you any details that might be helpful. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

FarmerJ

Have a survey of your own done with pins put in then just a few inches into your property beat some copper rods in IF there are utlities of any kind back there and beat the rods down so they cannot be seen. ( then if someone disturbs the pins youll be able to find the copper rods easy with a metal detector. Once you have your property marked then you will know for sure where the lot lines are, With out a current survey if something comes up it will make it harder to fight the problem.

154NH773

Who's responsible to have the line surveyed?
I agree with FarmerJ; to protect your property you must get your own survey and have markers placed. Copper grounding rods are excellent for locating with a metal detector, and can be purchased from any electrical supply store.

kdhohio

Thanks for the responses. I didn't think of the copper rod idea. Hopefully I can keep them from timbering my woods until I can come up with the money to get it surveyed again.

FarmerJ...I'm a little confused on the statement "beat some copper rods in IF there are utlities of any kind back there". There are no utilities. It is only woods down into a ravine with a creek then woods on the otherside. Does the lack of utilities change whether or not copper rods are a good plan? Other than the safety issue of possibly hitting a utility line with the rod am I missing something?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Some times people do not know or forget or think there is no problem like say with underground utilitys like natural gas pipelines Or oil refinery lines ,electrical lines so my point about the utils didnt tell you, just use your states call before you dig services to play it safe, its a easy way to avoid injury to self OR the after expense of being liable for damage to a utility. The copper rods I mention are long enough that they can easily be cut in half ,if not 3rds with a hacksaw , BUT if you were to use whole ones and didnt atleast check with local call before dig and did accidently hit a line it would be a mess if fortunate enough where no one died. ( Once you have contacted the call before dig and learn there is nothing back there you shouldnt ever have to do it again)

csi7

Did you do your survey yet? That is the best way to keep the neighbors honest about the property lines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">