• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

changed lanes, rear ended, say i ran into them

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brendan90zx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?california

i was driving the other night and changed lanesand seconds after a lady rear ended me. I did in fact check my mirrors and everything, but still did not see her, she was on a motorcycle. She hit my bumper and lost control. Her damages were 36000 in the hospital and my insurance only covers 15000. It sounds like she will take me to court. and probably try to sue me. the only posession i own in my car which is only worth about 2 grand, and have 0 money in the bank. shee says that i swiped her, and that i changed lanes into her. And that is what is filed on the police report. But.. her tire mark is the middle of my rear bumper, and the inside of my exhaust. And i was in the lane completely before she hit me. Anybody have a good estimate of what will happen

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?california

i was driving the other night and changed lanesand seconds after a lady rear ended me. I did in fact check my mirrors and everything, but still did not see her, she was on a motorcycle. She hit my bumper and lost control. Her damages were 36000 in the hospital and my insurance only covers 15000. It sounds like she will take me to court. and probably try to sue me. the only posession i own in my car which is only worth about 2 grand, and have 0 money in the bank. shee says that i swiped her, and that i changed lanes into her. And that is what is filed on the police report. But.. her tire mark is the middle of my rear bumper, and the inside of my exhaust. And i was in the lane completely before she hit me. Anybody have a good estimate of what will happen
Sounds to me like you cut her off...

racer72

Your post is one of the few examples of someone who is rear ended that can be found at fault for an accident.

ecmst12

No, because OP cut off the other vehicle. Her insurance will defend and will most likely get the other person to accept the policy limits in settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">