• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recieving settlement from accident when I was a minor.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Innio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah, however, the accident happened in Arizona.

Hi,

When I was around 3 or 4, I was involved in a car accident in which my mother was killed.

Years later, I have discovered that there is an account which contains some settlement compensation. Reading the FAQ, I should be able to access this money once I become the age of 18, which is just a few short weeks from now.

However, my father is blocking any attempts of me accessing the account which contains the compensation. He will not even disclose the amount (however, judging by the lifestyle of my older unemployed sibling who gained access to his portion, it seems to be a moderate amount)

He has gone as far as to say that he has to swear before a judge that I am "mature" enough to receive the money before I can access it. However, this seems illogical, as once 18, im not considered a dependent anymore.

I fear that he may somehow be tapping into this compensation for his own living expenses.

Where should I start and is it illegal for my father to withhold information about the account from me when I'm 18?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">