• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental car company refusing to cooperate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reddog22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Kentucky

My 17 year old daughter was involved in a car accident 10/29/09 the other drivers is at fault [police report] he was driving a rental car. The car had been rented on a corporate account. The rental car company refuses to give me the name of the insurer or the company that rented the car. How do I get this information? Its not list on the police report and the driver is from out of town. I have full coverage but my deductible is $500 bucks. In addition, she was injured.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

StephenH

Generally, the rental car company itself is NOT liable for the actions of drivers driving their cars, unless you are in the state of New York (Vicarious Liability). I would first file with your insurance company and see if they will pay. Even if there is a deductible, you may be able to recover it from the other company.

The other option to get this info, is to go to court and file a "John Doe" lawsuit against the driver and "does 1-10". Then issue a subpoena to the rental car company for a copy of the rental agreement that the person signed when they rented the car as well as the company agreement with the rental car company. Then you will probably get the company name and their insurance company then add them as named defendants to replace the does in an amended complaint.

A Couple of things to check:

1) Did the driver take the rental car company's insurance? If yes, file a claim with that or have your insurance company call them.

2) Did the corporate account provide insurance through their corporation? Some companies self insure or have a corporate policy that covers rental cars when one of their employees. Additionally, some corporations are "Self Insured" meaning that the company itself pays for its own insurance claims.

3) Was the person driving the rental car an "Authorized Driver" on the rental contract? If not, the insurance will not likely pay at all.

ecmst12

I answered most of OP's questions in the other thread that he apparently deleted. I'm not doing it again as my answers will not change.

reddog22

She is my daughter thats why!!

ECMST12 I am sorry, but I am new to this. However, I have to say you sound like a bitter unhappy person. I am involved because SHE IS MY DAUGHTER you must never have had children or you would had know why I am involved. I reposted because I wanted all the information on one post. Nothing as far as facts changed. As far as you don’t want to answer twice don’t! You answer was of no help what so ever. SO SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN!

ecmst12

You should have left your original thread open and posted any additional questions there. What you did was rude - ignoring the information you received and asking the same questions again as if you were hoping to get different answers the second time.

KY is a no-fault state, so your PIP will pay for her medical bills. She can only claim anything from the other insurance for injury if she has serious and permanent damage from her injuries.

I did not realize that your daughter was a minor and I assume that you own the car, so those are LEGAL reasons that you can be involved. If she was an adult driving her own car, you would have NO legal right to be involved.

I would advise, for your own convenience, to pay your deductible and let your own insurance company handle the repairs. Then THEY will deal with finding out who the appropriate insurance company is and handle getting your deductible and their payments back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">