• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Toyota Corolla 09 hit from behind

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gky

ARIZONA

Last night, I got hit by a truck from behind on the freeway. My car is brand new. Other person's insurance company has agreed to fix my car at their cost. They are not willing to provide me with a rental car. I have no transportation to go to work. Should they be providing a rental car to me?

But I was wondering if I could claim "diminished value" for my car?

P.S. : I am going through my own insurance company to get my car fixed sooner, and they already claimed the accident to other person's insurance. Is it too late to claim diminished value?

ecmst12

You can't claim diminished value from your own insurance company unless you bought coverage specifically for that. You can *try* to claim it from the other insurance company. How much damage was done?

The other insurance company is not going to want to pay directly for a rental car if they are not paying directly for your repair. YOUR insurance will not pay directly for a rental car unless you have rental coverage with them (which you should, it's very cheap). If you don't, you can pay for the rental out of your pocket and claim reimbursement from the other insurance company.

ecmst12

Most likely because HIS insurance is handling the repair, so the other insurance company has no way to communicate with the shop to keep track of the number of days there or control it at all. If OP's insurance is slow approving a supplement, for example, the other insurance company doesn't want to be on the hook for those days. So they are not going to want to approve a direct bill unless THEY are in control of the repair and can keep track of the days themselves.

gky

ecmst12,

Thank you for your answer. I guess I should have gone with the other driver's insurance.
I have been told that I had full coverage on my car, and geico did not even mention rental coverage when I was buying my insurance.
They are telling me that I do not have rental coverage. But I really need a car for transportation. I need to go to school and work. is it likely that I would take my money back If i rent a car out of my pocket? And how do I claim the reimbursement for the rental car? Thank you.

ecmst12

It is likely as long as you get a reasonably priced rental, with no ripoff extra insurance, and don't keep it any longer then you need it, that you will get reimbursed. Just call the other insurance company and ask where you should fax your rental bill after you return the car.

Make sure you add rental coverage to your policy now, before you forget!

gky

ecmst12,

I really appreciate your help!

I will rent a car which is considered same class with a toyota corolla.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">