• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retirement Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saar4321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa....I realize my ex wife to be is entitled to my retirement benefits. What percentage? Also, how about her retirement benefits? Am I entitled to any of her retirement benefits? Thanks....

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa....I realize my ex wife to be is entitled to my retirement benefits. What percentage? Also, how about her retirement benefits? Am I entitled to any of her retirement benefits? Thanks....
In general, you will each be entitled to 1/2 of the marital portion of your retirement benefits - that is, the portion which accrued during your marriage.

You can, of course, offset one for the other. That is, if the marital portions of each account are equal, you could each just keep your own account to avoid the inconvenience of splitting them.

Bali Hai

Technically you would be entitled to half of her benefits accrued during the marriage unless the court determines that you are not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">