• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce with spouse on another country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bhabesv

i lived in reno nevada for 6 months and am now in california. i would like to file divorce with my spouse who is in another country. i also have minor children in the same country as my spouse are not living with him. Can i just file for divorce without going into the custody issue since I know the state has no jurisdiction for custody issued since this is in another country. Can this be uncontested divorce?

also if i have lived in california also for 6 months and 6 months in reno, can i file 2 divorce cases in both state. i want to know this since i already filed in san beranrdino county in california but its already a year and just want to file in reno

mistoffolees

i lived in reno nevada for 6 months and am now in california. i would like to file divorce with my spouse who is in another country. i also have minor children in the same country as my spouse are not living with him. Can i just file for divorce without going into the custody issue since I know the state has no jurisdiction for custody issued since this is in another country. Can this be uncontested divorce?

also if i have lived in california also for 6 months and 6 months in reno, can i file 2 divorce cases in both state. i want to know this since i already filed in san beranrdino county in california but its already a year and just want to file in reno
You can only file for divorce in the state where you meet residency requirements. Since you are now living in CA, you can not file in NV. However, you can only file in CA after you meet the residency requirements (6 months in the state, 3 months in the county you file in).
Divorce Support - California State Divorce Residency Requirements

CA will be unable to address property or custody issues overseas, but if you simply want a divorce, you can do that. You will need to either find a way to serve your husband overseas or else you will have to get divorce by publication if you don't know where to find him. In the latter case, you'll probably need the assistance of an attorney.

California has a pretty good self-help program for divorce, you can ask at your county court house for information on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">