• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quasi contract/promissory estoppel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boldty653

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
Tom Green spent his time away from work on his hobby, model trains.
His train set was very large and consisted of rare and one-of-a-kind trains.
One day, while visiting with a fellow train hobbyist Harry, Tom said, “When I retire in 2 years from Grocery, I’m going to sell my trains and spend the rest of my years traveling on real trains.”
Tom then told Harry that he was the only person he planned to offer his trains to because he knew Harry would take good care of them.
Harry said he looked forward to the day when he could buy the trains.
Harry then spent the next 2 years and most of his savings building a new 2,000 sq. ft. room onto his house to make room for the trains.
When Harry told Tom that he was building the new room, Tom just smiled.
Tom also heard that Harry had borrowed money from his aunt to buy the trains.
When Tom retired, he sold his trains to David. Harry sued Tom claiming breach of contract, or in the alternative, that a quasi contract existed for promissory estoppel.
Who should win?

Is this for real? It seems like a school project in some sort. But, from my reading of Wikipedia, it seems like there is some cause to the harm caused from a reasonable reliance.

That's not really the answer as we get to argue how reasonable the reliance, but, that's what I say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">