• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overlapping boundary surveys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hocdx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

In August 2008 I purchased a lot and built a new home in a recently developed subdivision (sub B). My backyard boarders an existing subdivision (sub A). Sub B was surveyed in August 2005 and references two corner markers of sub A. Per the plats of both subdivisions, the boundary line between them should be straight (per the bearing information on both plats). The plat for Sub A was filed in July 1996. The boundary survey for sub A was done in 1995.

The problem: The physical markers show an overlap of about two feet between my lot and the lot behind me. The sub A marker in question is internal to the corner markers (which were "held" for sub B) referenced in the boundary survey for sub B. I believe the marker for the lot behind me that was placed during the boundary survey for sub A is incorrect or was moved since originally placed as all other markers appear to be in a straight line and the surveyor who placed the markers in 1995 told me over the phone that if it looks like it is out of line, then it probably is. He won't come out and reset the marker as it is not for my property.

The property owner with which the overlap exists is unwilling to recognize that his marker may be incorrect and has threatened lawsuit if I claim what I believe to be my property. He has planted trees in the overlap and threatened to sue if anything happens to them.

If in fact the marker was incorrectly placed will my neighbor have any cause for filing suite against me? Will the marker be considered held since it has been there for so long even though it may be incorrect or could have been moved?

The sub A surveyor told me that I should have my boundary verified and then start building my fence and if my neighbor wants to contest it they will first have to have their boundary survey verified and that would correct the marker. Does that sound like the next best step?

I am thinking of having my boundary survey verified and then have a real estate lawyer write up a letter showing my survey and giving my neighbor 30 or 60 days to remove his trees from my property and find out if he wants to contest it before investing into my fence.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

FarmerJ

If you arrange for second boundry survey and it matches the first one then your options are to leave things alone OR go see a real estate atty with both your matching surveys and let the atty start out with a letter for you.

154NH773

If your survey finds the markers to be incorrectly placed, and the land actually belongs to you, you may build your fence without regard for his trees.

You neighbor could then take you to court and claim adverse possession. He may have a case for such a claim. You should review the Utah statutes regarding adverse possession (78B-2) and consult with a good attorney.

It appears that in Utah, adverse possession can be claimed after 7 years if the person, "usually cultivated or improved" the property in question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">