• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Privacy Issue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missmanda1216

im not sure if i am posting this question in the proper place but here it goes..
i recently had a situation with an automobile insurance company. my father, whom i do not have a good relationship with and have no desire to have as a part of my life, supposedly went to a new insurance company in town and started new policy. he stated that this agent he knew at this location had saved him a lot of money and maybe i should call the agent and see if i could save any money. i had no desire to do so. well about 2 or 3 weeks ago i get a harassing phone call from my father about whether or not i had called the agent for a quote and the answer was no, i hadnt called. he then proceeded to tell me this... "she (the agent) said you had (specific violation) on your record and thats not too good". this tells me several different things. 1) he gave out my personal information to the agent without my consent, keeping in mind im not a minor and he no longer has the right to do so. 2) she somehow accessed my driving record without my permission. insurance companies cannot pull any driving records without your permission unless you have an open policy with them, which I DO NOT. Accidents will sometimes come up when a family member has the record checked, but this WAS NOT an accident and had nothing to do with him or his address. 3) she disclosed information from my personal record to a person other than me without my permission. this all makes me a little upset because i dont know if my father is trying to dig for information about me. i have talked to a few people, including some friends, the insurance department for my state, the state office for the dmv, as well as an attorney. everyone i talk to seems to think this is a complete bad deal. the attorney stated that the agent clearly demonstrated breach of duty and negligence, but since it did not cost me any money in damages, she wasnt sure if i would win in court. ive been in contact with the insurance office's supervisor and im pretty much just getting the run around and blown off. so i guess what im wondering is if 1) do i have to prove monetary damages to have a case and be compensated for this clear act of violating my privacy? 2) is there a way to take legal action without actually being represented by an attorney?

please help, i have no idea what to do next.

ecmst12

You have no damages. Traffic tickets/convictions are a matter of public record. Nothing illegal has taken place. Tell your dad to MYOB and end the conversation. Do not become a customer of the agent.

missmanda1216

please explain to me how driving records are a matter of public record if the dmv told me that if someone wanted a copy of my driving record they would need a notorized letter from me to obtain it?

ecmst12

Because the ticket has a court record, for one thing. Any joe off the street can't get your driving record, but insurance companies can run it through their computers with little difficulty. Anyone who searched court records could find out about your ticket though, especially if it was more then a simple moving violation (DUI or reckless driving). The agent could simply say he wanted to get a quote for your father to give you to entice you to be his customer. But no matter what, you have no damages and so no business in court. If you want to complain to the department of insurance that the agent acted unprofessionally, you can try, but there's no way to know what (if anything) they will do about it.

please explain to me how driving records are a matter of public record if the dmv told me that if someone wanted a copy of my driving record they would need a notorized letter from me to obtain it?
Was the information found out through the DMV?

No? Then what is your point?

You have no monetary loss, you will get no monetary judgment in court.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">