• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What if I don't have the money to pay judgement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My ex took me to small claims court. We share a son who he pays child support on.

He won a judgement on an unrelated matter to the tune of $1200, due to him in 21 days.

I don't work. I am on Social Security Disability.

--What happens if I don't pay? Is it true my social security is not able to be garnished?

-- I presume he can not adjust the child support payments. Is this correct?

--Is there some sort of standard court approved formula for making payments, should I choose to go that route?

Thanks in advance.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

My ex took me to small claims court. We share a son who he pays child support on.

He won a judgement on an unrelated matter to the tune of $1200, due to him in 21 days.

I don't work. I am on Social Security Disability.

--What happens if I don't pay? Is it true my social security is not able to be garnished?

-- I presume he can not adjust the child support payments. Is this correct?

--Is there some sort of standard court approved formula for making payments, should I choose to go that route?

Thanks in advance.
Your social security cannot be garnished but your bank account can be. You would have to prove the funds in the account are exempt from levy. there is no standard court-approved payment plan, that is between you and the judgement creditor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">