• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(Me: no insurance, (Other Guy: Rear-ended me and wants me to pay for his damage)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joshrayb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was out of the country for 3 weeks...when I got back my insurance had expired for non-payment. I was rear-ended at a stop light. The guy hit ME and now wants me to pay for the damage to his car. What should I do?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was out of the country for 3 weeks...when I got back my insurance had expired for non-payment. I was rear-ended at a stop light. The guy hit ME and now wants me to pay for the damage to his car. What should I do?
go after the other guys insurance for your damages.

ecmst12

Expect your license to be suspended for one year when the DMV finds out about the accident (which they will if the damage was over $650). But do NOT give the other driver a penny, he is full of crap.

there was no police report filed...and I have insurance now. How would the DMV find out?
The DMV will find out when you report the accident to the other guys company for compensation.

And if I were you, I would report it to their company like... now.

Last edited by a moderator:

joshrayb

I don't really care too much about the damage of my car...it's minimal, so I wouldn't be reporting anything.

But either way I'm screwed? Cuz, I'm pretty much going to have my license suspended? Should I just pay the guy to keep this on the down low?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">