• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Locating the defendant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cyan

In NYC, I am going to sue a person who hit my vehicle (the insurance covered most of it, but some of the costs remain out of pocket).

Here's the problem - I don't have the address of the other person. My car was hit while parked, so I don't even have their plate number, or any of the usual information that would have been exchanged. Their insurance company won't release the information, so all I have is a name and cell phone number, and the state their insurance is in (which is not in NY).

In order to sue them, I need their address. So, I have two questions:

1. Is there any option other than a Private Investigator to get their address?

2. If I hire a PI to get me that information, can I add that amount to what I'm sueing for?

rhinocl

You might be able to get their address from a fee based site on the web. Type reverse directory into a search engine. Then type in the phone number. It will probably give you a carrier and city and refer you to a pay service for a real address- should be $10 to $35. Easier than suing the insurance company and forcing them to yield his address through a deposition (I'm just assuming that is possible), and cheaper than a PI.

Cyan

You might be able to get their address from a fee based site on the web. Type reverse directory into a search engine. Then type in the phone number. It will probably give you a carrier and city and refer you to a pay service for a real address- should be $10 to $35. Easier than suing the insurance company and forcing them to yield his address through a deposition (I'm just assuming that is possible), and cheaper than a PI.
I tried the reverse directory route, and came up with nothing useful.

At the very least, does anyone know for certain - if I use a PI to get the address, can I add that cost to what I'm suing for?

Mass_Shyster

In NYC, I am going to sue a person who hit my vehicle (the insurance covered most of it, but some of the costs remain out of pocket).

Here's the problem - I don't have the address of the other person. My car was hit while parked, so I don't even have their plate number, or any of the usual information that would have been exchanged. Their insurance company won't release the information, so all I have is a name and cell phone number, and the state their insurance is in (which is not in NY).

In order to sue them, I need their address. So, I have two questions:

1. Is there any option other than a Private Investigator to get their address?

2. If I hire a PI to get me that information, can I add that amount to what I'm sueing for?
Who's insurance paid for the damage? How do you even know who their insurance company is?

If their insurance already paid the claim, you probably cannot go after them for more money.

Cyan

Who's insurance paid for the damage? How do you even know who their insurance company is?

If their insurance already paid the claim, you probably cannot go after them for more money.
The other person's insurance paid for the damage, that's how I know who they are.

And the issue isn't money for damage, but reimbursement for the rental vehicle while mine was being repaired. As the event was completely the fault of the other party (which there is no dispute over), I shouldn't be out of pocket for anything, as I see it.

In addition, while speaking to the other party, they told me that they would be willing to pay out of pocket for everything I wasn't being reimbursed for by the insurance company. However, now they are avoiding contact, so it looks like I'll have to file suit.

But, I don't have their address, which is why I'm asking the questions about the P.I.

rhinocl

You probably should have insisted on the rental car reimbursement before accepting the insurance companies offer. You might be barred from seeking additional damages against their policy holder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">