• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Communal property and inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evenflow321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My soon to be ex-wife received money from a trust from her mother when she passed. When she first got the money she put it all in our joint account. Now that we are splitting up she has moved all the money to a personal account and claims I am not entitled to any of it.

She is refusing to reimburse me for money that I spent on our mutual debt that I also received from an inheritance. I feel that since I spent 100% of my inheritance on our mutual debt, that she should reimburse me 50% of that from her inheritance. I dont want to go after half of her inheritance, but I feel like I may be getting the shaft.

We are under water on our mortgage for $50k and Im afraid that in the end I will owe $25k on our mortgage, have none of my inheritance, and she will walk away with everything.

Am I entitled to any of her inheritance?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My soon to be ex-wife received money from a trust from her mother when she passed. When she first got the money she put it all in our joint account. Now that we are splitting up she has moved all the money to a personal account and claims I am not entitled to any of it.

She is refusing to reimburse me for money that I spent on our mutual debt that I also received from an inheritance. I feel that since I spent 100% of my inheritance on our mutual debt, that she should reimburse me 50% of that from her inheritance. I dont want to go after half of her inheritance, but I feel like I may be getting the shaft.

We are under water on our mortgage for $50k and Im afraid that in the end I will owe $25k on our mortgage, have none of my inheritance, and she will walk away with everything.

Am I entitled to any of her inheritance?
How much money did you inherit, and how much money did she inherit?

mistoffolees

She comingled it just as you did.
But there's enough at stake here that OP needs to see an attorney quickly. Saving a couple grand on an attorney and then messing up property division in the hundreds of thousands of dollars just doesn't make sense.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">