• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a law for lane sharing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

If a person starts to change lanes, can another vehicle move into the lane before they are completely out?

I was driving a semi on a 4 lane road, getting ready to make a right turn to get on freeway. I realized it was going to be a very tight turn, so I moved to my left to utilize the width of the 2 lanes to make the turn. I looked in my right mirror and noticed another semi coming along my right side who ended up side swiping me with his trailer. He told me he thought I was moving into the left lane, even though I was still halfway in the right lane, with my right turn signal on. After his employer received the bill for damage, the driver is now claiming I turned into him as he was driving by.

ecmst12

Normally I would say anyone who moves left to make a right turn is asking for trouble. I do not know if there are different rules for huge trucks that literally CAN'T make the turn from the proper lane. Your commercial driving course should have covered it though.

Normally I would say anyone who moves left to make a right turn is asking for trouble. I do not know if there are different rules for huge trucks that literally CAN'T make the turn from the proper lane. Your commercial driving course should have covered it though.
Yea, when making a turn you are supposed to go into oncoming traffic as opposed to moving left. However, there was no oncoming traffic since this was getting on a freeway on ramp.

ecmst12

Freeway onramps are not usually very sharp turns. I think what you did was confusing and dangerous to other drivers; I think you will be found at fault for the accident.

Freeway onramps are not usually very sharp turns. I think what you did was confusing and dangerous to other drivers; I think you will be found at fault for the accident.
Thanks for your opinion, I guess! Ur right normally they are not when your in more of a suburban area. However when u are trying to get on a freeway from downtown L. A. it is justified.

my question was if there was a law in regards to lane sharing.

justalayman

it is not that there are "rules" per se. It is that there are limitations on how sharply a truck can turn and moving to the left of their lane so as to make a right hand turn is an acknowledged and taught action.

justalayman

Yea, when making a turn you are supposed to go into oncoming traffic as opposed to moving left. However, there was no oncoming traffic since this was getting on a freeway on ramp.

bottom line:

there is no legal lane sharing with vehicles other than motorcycles (and not spositive about them specifically in your state). Until you had cleared the lane, the other driver was driving illegally by occupying a lane still occupied by you. Until such time your last tire had crossed clearly into the adjacent lane, the other driver has no legal claim to the lane you were leaving.

Did you have your turn signal on?

Had you ever totally left your lane?

How far into the other lane had you moved to? (tires just across the line; truck 1/2 way straddling the line; right side tires touching the line; whatever)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Lane sharing (although not specifically called that to my knowledge) is allowed if the lane is wide enough to permit it.

justalayman

Lane sharing (although not specifically called that to my knowledge) is allowed if the lane is wide enough to permit it.

well, without getting into too much specific detail, it would appear the DOT has determined a standard lane width is to be 12 feet. That maximum width of a vehicle without special permits is 102" (8 1/2')( and manufacturers generally make them as wide as they absolutely can). Since it is physically impossible for two semis to fit within one standard lane, it would be illegal to share a lane.

Of course, if you could find lane that was in excess of 17 feet (don't forget room for the sway), I could find no law making lane sharing illegal but I strongly suspect there are other vehicle codes that would consider such usage as unsafe for a variety of factors and as such, would make even that situation illegal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm not aware of any lanes wide enough to fit 2 semis.
I was only speaking to the blanket statement...not the specific instance that is involved in THIS thread.

In THIS thread, it would certainly appear that the "safety" requirement was NOT met by the trailing/passing semi.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">