• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property Damage Team can get me in trouble?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VmemberV

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

When my mother left to Chicago, I was driving her car in Brooklyn, New York. One night I got drunk and let a friend borrow the car to drive his girlfriend home. He hit a parked car with no one inside. The damage was pretty bad; he tried to drive away and got arrested for DWI, but not for the accident. I tried to get a police report to find out what happened, but there was no police report that mentions my car, just arrest report for the friend. I decided to fix my car without insurance. Now, two weeks later, I get a call from my insurance from Property Damage Team, and first they wanted to speak to my friend, then to my mother. They did not disclose any information to me since I’m not on the insurance. Since my mother is in Chicago, they asked to tell her to urgently call them. What are the consequences for me or for my mother for not reporting this accident? I didn’t call the insurance because I did not know what exactly happened. What are the best steps to take right now?

ecmst12

Your mother needs to tell them that she gave you permission to use her car. You then need to tell them the rest. Including what you paid out of your pocket. You should have been added onto the insurance since you were the only regular user of the car at that point. You may be charged for any increase in premium for that not being done. Your friend ALSO needs to talk to them and tell them the truth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">