• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I sold a car . . . .

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JMBoriss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan.

We sold our 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix with 138k on it on Sunday around 6pm. The guy came on Sunday night, looked at the car, started it up, popped the hood, bought it then drove it home. He did not drive it around prior to purchasing it. My wife, Myself, the buyer and his wife were present.

Today (Tuesday) at around 5pm I got a call from the buyer stating that he was broken down on the side of the road and the engine had a very serious rod knock. I asked to hear it over the phone, it sounded like someone was pounding a hammer on a metal pipe it was that bad. After empathizing with him, I told him, I'm sorry there's nothing more I can do. The car was sold AS IS with no warranty expressed or implied.

The car needs a new engine.

We did not have a bill of sale or anything like that. Also, the car is in my wife's maiden name: (we got married in June 2009 and I never put myself on the Title). We just signed the title and off he went with the car with no paperwork other than the title.

He took the car to a dealership and they said it had been knocking for the last 15,000 miles when we had over $1800 worth of work done to it (all of which I showed him the receipt for and all of which is on the craigslist add). He currently has the receipt for the work that had been done.

My question to him was . . ..

If it had been knocking for the last 15,000 miles why then on Sunday when you came and look at the car, opened the hood and heard it ran, didn't you just walk away? You didn't walk away because nothing was wrong with the car then. Instead you bought the car and drove it home. A lot can be done in two days to a car I said to him. He's driven it 31 miles since purchase. You can't cover up a rod knock. Also, you saw all the work done to it, I showed you the receipt, and you still bought the car.

He says he's going to take us (Really My Wife, her name is on the title) to district court and sue us for $3800 and court costs/attorney fees. Don't know where he's getting $3800 from but whatever.

Are we at all liable from a legal stand point?

NikkiLee

Nothing amazes me anymore...!

I'm so surprised anyone would purchase a motor vehicle and not test drive! That's madness right there! :rolleyes: I cannot see how you are liable as he purchased the vehicle 'as is'. I think this is a case of sour grapes!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">