• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal advice on me possibly being sued

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

czechs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

This story may be a little hard to follow please bear with me. On Halloween weekend I went to visit some friends at college. We were drinking(under aged) I ended up getting lost and waking up in a different dorm room on the way back from the bathroom it was on the opposite side of the hall and they had the same dorm layout. Upon waking up one of the room mates asked who I was I told them I belonged across the hall and left. A few hours later the other dorm mate comes to tell me someone urinated over his laptop and it wont turn on. Seeing as I was the one who woke up in the room and quickly left all blame fell on me. His parents bought him a new one for 2,200 dollars. They expect me to pay them back. I myself do not have money however my parents do. His parents are from Pennsylvania and the incident occurred in Virginia. My parents advice was to ignore his attempts to contact me and for 2,200 dollars from people who obviously have money would not take me to court. I would just like to know if this could become a more serious matter due to the under aged drinking. I was visiting the university I think from voicemails his parents believe I attend that university as they want to contact the administration/authorities. My dad is an intelligent man(master degree/successful accountant) who told me all men make mistakes however 2,200 dollars is a lot of money for a broke college kid to have to pay to someone who obviously doesnt need it. I would like to avoid payment due to me not being 100% certain the blame is mine. Legally speaking is this a matter for small claims court or could it become something larger.

Some Random Guy

My dad is an intelligent man(master degree/successful accountant) who told me all men make mistakes however 2,200 dollars is a lot of money for a broke college kid to have to pay to someone who obviously doesnt need it.
What your dad has in intelligence he is lacking in morals. Just because you claim to be broke doesn't give you the right to destroy the valuables of the rich.

Keep ignoring them. Eventually you will get sued and will have a judgment against you for the laptop plus court costs. And your credit report will have a nice big judgment on it. So when any potential employers ask you about it you can tell them that it means nothing because it was probably some other wandering drunk who peed all over somebody's dorm room.

czechs

That's why I said the story was hard to follow. I was one of many throughout the course of the night to be in that room. The room I thought I was in was my bestfriend who I known since I was 6 and is twice my size with a bit of a temper. Reguardless of how drunk I was I could never ruin anything of my friends. I wanted to avoid a moral debate and focus on the legality. I never said my actions were okay I stated I was not 100% certain it was me. I came up and supplied the alcohol which meant we stopped drinking after everyone else. People stopped around 4 we continued to drink til 6 am I then went to the restroom and on the way back entered the dorm on the opposite side of the hall and fell asleep on an identical chair in my friends room. I was then rewoken at 7. Upon entering the room the floor was already soaked I assumed someone had just spilt beer on the floor and we deal with it later.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">