• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fixing Cars in Development

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

devlin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have a neighbor who fixes cars on a daily basis. He fixes his cars apparently by either letting the engine run for hours and every 15 minutes or so he revs the engine to the point of me thinking he might finally blow the thing up. I have complained, in writing, to my association 3 times. The car fixing continues. The bylaws clearly state that there is no major car repair to be done on any of the properties. The first time I complained I was told they would investigate the situation. Three months later, 3 emails later,I have gotten no response other than the claim that they would look into it.

I work from home doing a job where i need to be able to hear and concentrate. I don't care if the guy fixes his car, but it is so loud I know other neighbors have complained.

If my association won't do anything is my only option to move? don't suggest calling the police, they never do anything either, and the people I speak of are minorities in our neighborhood and use it as a get out of jail free card everytime they cause a problem.

What I would like to do is stop paying my association fees, then sue them for my moving expenses. I have an attorney, i have not yet spoken to him about it, but I guess it is coming to that.

Anyone have a similar problem and how did you resolve it???

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I have a neighbor who fixes cars on a daily basis. He fixes his cars apparently by either letting the engine run for hours and every 15 minutes or so he revs the engine to the point of me thinking he might finally blow the thing up. I have complained, in writing, to my association 3 times. The car fixing continues. The bylaws clearly state that there is no major car repair to be done on any of the properties. The first time I complained I was told they would investigate the situation. Three months later, 3 emails later,I have gotten no response other than the claim that they would look into it.

I work from home doing a job where i need to be able to hear and concentrate. I don't care if the guy fixes his car, but it is so loud I know other neighbors have complained.

If my association won't do anything is my only option to move? don't suggest calling the police, they never do anything either, and the people I speak of are minorities in our neighborhood and use it as a get out of jail free card everytime they cause a problem.

What I would like to do is stop paying my association fees, then sue them for my moving expenses. I have an attorney, i have not yet spoken to him about it, but I guess it is coming to that.

Bigoted much? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

devlin

Yep....when the neighbor in question claims they were arrested for selling drugs because they are a minority...not because they SELL DRUGS, yep....I'm a bigot. Yep, you should be able to do whatever you want if you are considered a "minority". Oh wahhhh, I'm a minority....it's everyone elses fault I have to sell drugs.

Just the response I would expect on this forum....sigh. Grow up people.

Zigner

Yep....when the neighbor in question claims they were arrested for selling drugs because they are a minority...not because they SELL DRUGS, yep....I'm a bigot. Yep, you should be able to do whatever you want if you are considered a "minority". Oh wahhhh, I'm a minority....it's everyone elses fault I have to sell drugs.

Says the racist bigot...

devlin

actually, I think I just answered my own question. I'm going to ask my loud, obnoxious neighbors if they have any family or friends looking for a place to live, then rent to them :) Let the association deal with a neighborhood full of people who fix cars all day long, park them all over their yards, etc, etc. Then if they complain to me as the landlord, I'll tell them that they are picking on my tennants because they are minoroties. :D Whew....glad I figured that out. Thanks FreedAdvice!!!!

cyjeff

actually, I think I just answered my own question. I'm going to ask my loud, obnoxious neighbors if they have any family or friends looking for a place to live, then rent to them :) Let the association deal with a neighborhood full of people who fix cars all day long, park them all over their yards, etc, etc. Then if they complain to me as the landlord, I'll tell them that they are picking on my tennants because they are minoroties. :D Whew....glad I figured that out. Thanks FreedAdvice!!!!
Your option is to call the police.

Other than that, get over your damn self.

Mass_Shyster

File for an injunction enjoining him from working on his car in violation of the bylaws.

You probably won't get one, but hey, lawyers need to eat too.

Zigner

Good luck - everyone knows that minorities don't pay their bills.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think you are confusing "low class" with "minority". Your neighbors, albeit from a minority, are showing that they are low class. Them being a minority has nothing to do with your situation. I mean, people from all backgrounds, wealth, and walks of life can be low class. Need proof? Just look at yourself!

Cedrus

Your first post mentioned "cars". I assume he is working on other people's cars. That is a business and might/should be outlawed by the CC&R's.

Why not visit a contract lawyer or RE lawyer for some advice and if there is a violation, have the lawyer write a letter to the HOA.

These yahoos who are jumping all over you have never been in your situation. We had the same deal in CA with a rental tenant (from a homeowner) doing exactly the same thing. A letter from a lawyer, to the home owner, cleared out the person renting, in 30 days.

ucf

I'm actually surprised, usually assocs jump at the chance to enforce something like this. I would videotape it if you can.

He may be violating your cities ordinances through excessive noise or operating a business without zoning. Call code enforcement/police.

Are you the only person annoyed by this if you get your neighbors to sign a letter of support that may go a long way to get your assoc to do something. Lobbyists aren't just for governmental politics bring them some wine for christmas and explain your issue I would leave out the minority part though.

Zigner

Your first post mentioned "cars". I assume he is working on other people's cars. That is a business and might/should be outlawed by the CC&R's.

Why not visit a contract lawyer or RE lawyer for some advice and if there is a violation, have the lawyer write a letter to the HOA.

These yahoos who are jumping all over you have never been in your situation. We had the same deal in CA with a rental tenant (from a homeowner) doing exactly the same thing. A letter from a lawyer, to the home owner, cleared out the person renting, in 30 days.
THIS "yahoo" doesn't like the fact that our OP is a racist pig...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">