• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Person who rear ended me is suing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sammy88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Live in Ontario, Canada

Two years ago, I was in traffic on the highway when the car in front of me stopped. I stopped completely and the person behind me hit the back of my jeep (second party), and someone also rear ended them (third party).

I had no damage to my jeep, the second party did have his hood dented in and I traded information with him, and the third party had significant damage done to his car. Being naive at the time, I did not stay at the scene, and filled a police report in later (police dept. contacted me).

The third party is now suing both the man who hit me, and myself for over 300 000 for the damage done to his vehicle, as well as medical bills.

I would like to know any legal advice anyone has, what can this person really do to me? I believe that I was not at fault, as I did stop in time, was not close to hitting the car in front of me, and did make sure that both parties were uninjured before I left.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
US Law Only

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Live in Ontario, Canada

Two years ago, I was in traffic on the highway when the car in front of me stopped. I stopped completely and the person behind me hit the back of my jeep (second party), and someone also rear ended them (third party).

I had no damage to my jeep, the second party did have his hood dented in and I traded information with him, and the third party had significant damage done to his car. Being naive at the time, I did not stay at the scene, and filled a police report in later (police dept. contacted me).

The third party is now suing both the man who hit me, and myself for over 300 000 for the damage done to his vehicle, as well as medical bills.

I would like to know any legal advice anyone has, what can this person really do to me? I believe that I was not at fault, as I did stop in time, was not close to hitting the car in front of me, and did make sure that both parties were uninjured before I left.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">