• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

electric theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tc6969

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio..my neighbor plugged an extension cord into my outdoor electric box. I have called the police but they said they would not file a report unless I saw who plugged it in. It is still running electric up to her house.I asked the police if they could unplug the extension cord and follow it to make sure it was plugged into her house and she was stealing my electric. They said no, they would not violate her rights. I have called the electric company who said they would investigate but my question is, are the police being bias towards my neighbor and how should they have helped me?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio..my neighbor plugged an extension cord into my outdoor electric box. I have called the police but they said they would not file a report unless I saw who plugged it in. It is still running electric up to her house.I asked the police if they could unplug the extension cord and follow it to make sure it was plugged into her house and she was stealing my electric. They said no, they would not violate her rights. I have called the electric company who said they would investigate but my question is, are the police being bias towards my neighbor and how should they have helped me?
So why don't you unplug it yourself:confused:

JETX

Unplug it FIRST... then take a good set of wire cutters and cut the plug off the end. Hell, it is on your property anyway. Might just tell them you thought it was a snake and cut the head off!! :D

tc6969

The police told me I was not allowed to unplug it or touch it in any way. Only the Electric company was allowed to do it. I have called the electric company and they are taking care of it for me but I would like to file a complaint against the police officer for being so unreasonable. What do you think?

justalayman

The police told me I was not allowed to unplug it or touch it in any way. Only the Electric company was allowed to do it. I have called the electric company and they are taking care of it for me but I would like to file a complaint against the police officer for being so unreasonable. What do you think?
They lied to you and they have no idea as to what the truth is.

Unplug the dang thing, then cut the cord cap (plug) off. When the neighbor comes down to ask what happened, tell her you saw a snake heading into her house and you killed it.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Why would you think you could not unplug something from your OWN electrical outlet??

You should also secure the outlet with a lock. You can find them online if you search a bit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">