• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Safe to shoot in AZ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When is it safe to shoot someone in Arizona? I've heard that you must be in fear of your life to shoot someone with a gun, inside/outside your home.

I've heard of the Castle Doctrine, that allows you to defend your home's property and your life while inside your home.

Of course if someone breaks in with a gun, points it at me, I'd expect to be able to fire on him, however, there are other situations where I am not sure if my actions would be warranted.

If I'm at a bank as it is being robbed, can I shoot down the gunman? What if he doesn't have a gun? Maybe just a knife? What happens if my shot kills the person instead of injuring him?

I purchased my first gun a few days ago, and I wanted to know what legalities are with regards to firing the gun.

FlyingRon

You must show with a preponderance of evidence that you or another person is in imminent peril. You just can go vigilante shooting bank robbers.

There's far more to gun laws and responsible gun ownership than deciding who you can shoot. I recommend a court by the local NRA affiliates.

Country Living

I guess taking a gun safety class has never crossed your mind. There's nothing scarier than a person with a gun who has absolutely no idea how to use it OR how to use it responsibly.

Stay on your side of the U.S.

jsmith416

Take an NRA course PLEASE and don't even think of carrying that thing around until you pass the class and get several hours of range time.

cyjeff

Let me put it to the OP this way.

Most people buy a gun in the hopes that they never have to use it. This is not a television show... guns are dangerous and every time you pull the trigger with a person in the front sight, you are not only putting that person at lethal risk but also risking any innocent passersby.

You talked about a shoot out in a bank. Are you a good enough shot to only hit the perp? What about a ricochet that strikes an innocent person or, God forbid, a child? Or the driver of a car passing by?

Guns are not an excuse to establish justice and law in your town. If you want to do that, become a law enforcement officer and get the training you now lack.

In the meantime, put the gun away. Oh, and if you have spent the last few hours in front of a mirror practicing your quick draw, don't tell us.

FlyingRon

Further the collateral damage from guns is staggering. The chances that you shoot a family member or yourself accidentally, or get shot yourself because you escalate some situation to deadly force that you're not prepared to deal with, is more common than mortal injury from criminals.

I didn't ask for your personal beliefs on guns, I asked what the LAW had to say.

You need to have a gun before you can take the CCW course. I've already signed up for it.

Oh dear God. Please, return it before you grow too attached to it.
- So I should have waited a couple years after I bought it, before I asked about the law? :confused:

I guess taking a gun safety class has never crossed your mind.
- I want to know what the law says before going to class, so I can be prepared to ask the right questions.

or get shot yourself because you escalate some situation to deadly force that you're not prepared to deal with, is more common than mortal injury from criminals.
- Sounds like cyjeff may be in that category :eek:

I was really hoping to get some good advice on the laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">