• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joined credit card + House mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jane888

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

1. I am getting a divorce (in the state of Illinois). My husband and I have joined credit card. He wants to keep the credit card because he was a member before we gat married. He just wants to take my name off it. I, on the other hand, do not want to be responsible for it in any form after the divorce. My main worry is a situation where lets say I do not have any control of it, but six months from now my ex-husband accumulates expanses on it and for some reason he cannot pay it off, or make any payments. Will the credit card company go after me and try to make me pay the expanse and if I deny it will it ruin my credit line, or they will not look for me any more?

2. My husband is keeping the house. After the divorce is finalized he is obligated to take my name off the mortgage within the next six months. How is this going to effect me. Am I still responsible for the mortgage for the six months. If yes, should I not sign off the ownership on the house until my name is cleared off the mortgage? What if he cannot clear my name off of it within the time period given. What if it takes longer? How does it effect me, or I am not effected because I do not own the house since the divorce.

If I am looking to buy my own home will the six months effect my search for the new mortgage, and if yes, how?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

1. I am getting a divorce (in the state of Illinois). My husband and I have joined credit card. He wants to keep the credit card because he was a member before we gat married. He just wants to take my name off it. I, on the other hand, do not want to be responsible for it in any form after the divorce. My main worry is a situation where lets say I do not have any control of it, but six months from now my ex-husband accumulates expanses on it and for some reason he cannot pay it off, or make any payments. Will the credit card company go after me and try to make me pay the expanse and if I deny it will it ruin my credit line, or they will not look for me any more?
As long as your name is on the card, you are equally responsible for any debt...and yes, if he doesn't pay, it will negatively effect your credit. If he can take your name off of it, that's great, but he will need to prove to you that he can do so. Otherwise it needs to be cancelled and he needs to get a new card, in just his name.

2. My husband is keeping the house. After the divorce is finalized he is obligated to take my name off the mortgage within the next six months. How is this going to effect me. Am I still responsible for the mortgage for the six months. If yes, should I not sign off the ownership on the house until my name is cleared off the mortgage? What if he cannot clear my name off of it within the time period given. What if it takes longer? How does it effect me, or I am not effected because I do not own the house since the divorce.
Same as above. Until he refinances you will be equally obligate for the mortgage. You should not give him a quit claim deed until he is closing on a refinance.

If I am looking to buy my own home will the six months effect my search for the new mortgage, and if yes, how?
You may not be able to qualify for a mortgage until he refinances and takes your name off his mortgage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">