• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it a forgery?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chubsturtle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

My former wife sent a documet to a collection agencey, in an attempt to conceal from me a $3.5k debt from me and concealing the fact that we went through an eveiction I was unaware of as well. She signed my name to it without my concent. It states that I was not living with here at the time of the rent contract she entered with our then landlord, which not the truth.

Is her application of my signiture, as well as the fabrication of this document a forgery though she gained no monitary advantage over me?

If it is a forgery, would it likely be a fellony charge or midemeanor?

CdwJava

How would she benefit from this?

I'm not too clear on what this document is and how she might benefit or how it might place you on the hook for something?

While I am not familiar with the statutes for forgery in your state, I'm guessing that they require the forger to have signed your name in order to receive some benefit not otherwise due to her or to obligate you in some way to some debt. Perhaps you can clarify what exactly this document is, and what it does.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How would she benefit from this?

I'm not too clear on what this document is and how she might benefit or how it might place you on the hook for something?

While I am not familiar with the statutes for forgery in your state, I'm guessing that they require the forger to have signed your name in order to receive some benefit not otherwise due to her or to obligate you in some way to some debt. Perhaps you can clarify what exactly this document is, and what it does.
Sounds to me like the wife didn't want the husband to know about the debt she incurred. So, in order to conceal it, she forged a document from hubby saying (in effect) that they were separated.

chubsturtle

We had 3.5 K in back rent. The Doc was created to hide me from that fact, and to hide the fact that we had an eviction. She pressed me hard to move into a new place. "Same rent...with free central air!" She had told me. The doc was sent to a collection agencey so, on the rare occasion I would get the mail after work, I did not get a letter from a collection agencey with my name on it reavealing the fact that we were behind in rent. In effect, to keep her deep, dark secrets. Also as a direct result of the letter, I was not summened to appear at the evictioin hearing. The whole time, we are buying furnature, a car, a new HD tv...ect. I'd say, the ex gained furnature, tv, and the car she is still driving.

CdwJava

Have you reported it to the police, yet? If not, that should be one of the first steps you take.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">