• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor Fender Bender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thatsnotmyname

Wisconsin.

Last night I was pulling out of my parking space and tapped a passing car by accident. The result was a very small dent on the drivers side between the back door and bumper. The owner of the car responded with an over exaggerated lecture on how I was to pay for the damages, which clearly I was at fault. I then told her we needed to contact the police and file a police report, which she disagreed to. Turns out the owner of the car wasn't driving, and her friend was who doesn't have a valid license (which is why they refused to have police contact). Neither of us have insurance, and the only information we exchanged was telephone numbers. I really can't afford to pay for the cost of the damages, no matter how miniscule they are. My question is if taken to court does she really even have a case against me?

ecmst12

You are 100% at fault and must pay in full for the damages you caused. Not having insurance is dumb.

racer72

You are fully liable for the damage you caused by your negligence. If you can't afford to properly insure your vehicle or pay for damage you cause, you can't afford to drive your vehicle. Although Wisconsin does not have a mandatory insurance law, you are required by law to provide proof of insurance or accept financial responsibility if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident. I would suggest you start saving your money.

thatsnotmyname

Clearly not having insurance is not a smart idea, I've been in the process of getting insurance, but what's done is done. Not really your concern.

So basically the only way for her to make me pay for damages would be to take me to small claims, seeing as she can't go through her insurance company since she lacks in that department, as do I, correct?

MacShannon

OMG people like you make us responsible ones really mad. If I were that person, I 'd sue you blind. How stupid are you??????? What if you caused something worse like permanent injury or death??? Grow up and go get insurance.

Just Blue

OMG people like you make us responsible ones really mad. If I were that person, I 'd sue you blind. How stupid are you??????? What if you caused something worse like permanent injury or death??? Grow up and go get insurance.
Pot...Meet kettle. :rolleyes:

JustAPal00

Pot...Meet kettle. :rolleyes:
I'll say! Here's a person with no health insurance criticizing someone with no car insurance. But I'm sure that if MacShannon got cancer they would refuse the treatment since they wouldn't be able to afford it. Only an irresponsible person would pass their debt on to the rest of society!

thatsnotmyname

You guys have been helpful, thank you!

It's a MINOR fender bender, had it been a SERIOUS accident I would definitely take full responsibility, though there is more to this "accident" than I posted, and quite frankly she doesn't deserve to be paid for the damage due to other circumstances.

Well, it's been fun, so once again THANKS! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">