• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stole property back from roommate, now can't go home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blakiepoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

My friend is in jail right now. He took in a roommate who stole his cancer & painkiller meds within a couple of days. My friend broke into the roommate's room to get his meds (which were there).

The roommate called the police and had him arrested for burglary. He then put a restraining order on my friend so he can't come back to his house when released, meanwhile the roommate is staying there and probably has looted the place.

Is there any recourse that you can think of to get some of his property back and be allowed back into his house?

He made a deal to get probation when he gets out, which will be soon.

I would so appreciate any advice. I'm not even in the same state and I feel helpless here.

Number21

So the meds have the proper prescription label with drug and patient names right? If the "cancer" meds have his name on the bottle then why in gods name would the police arrest him and not the other guy? :rolleyes:

And then suddenly this new roomate has a restraining order on the person who was in the house first? I don't buy that....

Last edited:

Blakiepoo

Some valid confusions. I don't know how he was unable to get the roommate arrested. I'll have to ask more about it next time I am able to talk to him.

As for the quotes around cancer, there is no doubt there. I know he has cancer and I know his doctors who prescribe his medicine, and yes it was on the bottles perfectly legitimately.

I'll update this thread when I can and thanks for the reply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">