• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and child custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

s206167

MO, My husband and I have an 8 month old child. I am in Radiology school to graduate May of 2010 my husband and I live on his parents land in a house that is owned by his parents that as the husband says will someday be sold to us. We spent money on improving the house. The husband is self employed with a fencing business that I suppose am half owner. His family has crops that the husband puts in and takes out. Mostly what this marriage has turned into is the husband does what ever the parents say, and according to the parents I am a bad person that is a free loader b/c I am in school (to make money and have health insurance). The parents to me are awful; the husband has become his parents. The way he thinks and treats me. No physical abuse. I started radiology school in June of 2008 when the husband said 'well you should go ahead and quit your full time job at Wal Mart to go to school'. I did, ever since that he makes me beg for money for gas, he says he can’t pay for my school even though he and his brother signed a 30,000 loan for a semi truck that I said no to. This was 2 months ago, after him telling me he can’t help me with school. My worries are I want full custody of my son. I have no money but what the husband gives me, this is the first time in my life I have not had a job and I have Social Security statements to prove this. Since the husband helps his family with the crops, even if its 'raining' if he were to get custody of my son, my son would grow up at the baby sitters or at his parents house. That is not right. This is a divorce I see coming real soon, there is not much I can do being in school with no place to go or no money. I have 2 horses which I will take, the husband hates all my animals and it is like pulling teeth to have him feed and water them occasionally. I have quit the situation what do I need to be doing? I am trying to look for part time work now, the husband tells me "you cant do that you need to worry about school". Thank you very much.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

Talk to an attorney. You may be able to find an attorney to petition the court to be paid from marital assets.

As for custody, the court will decide what is best for the child. Regardless of who gets custody, the child will be spending a great deal of time with child care, so that's not much of an argument. In fact, the court may believe that it's better for the child to be with a grandmother than in day care.

The one thing in your favor is that you will have graduated by the time the divorce becomes final, so you'll be able to support yourself, but you might want to start looking for a job now rather than waiting until graduation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">