• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where to file small claims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fum23camer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I need a little help here as I can't seem to find the answer.

I had my boyfriend move in with me and after returning from a family reunion I found out that he had moved out. Not only did he take his stuff but some of mine and my childrens.

He moved back to Texas. I need to know where do I file the small claims at, my state or his? Also it's almost impossible for me to find an exact location as he moves around alot, is this going to make it hard for me to even file? Will his social security number help me at all in this?

Thanks in advance!

JETX

He moved back to Texas. I need to know where do I file the small claims at, my state or his?
You can file in your home state, but if you get a judgment, you would have to domesticate it into his state (Texas) where any assets are.

Also it's almost impossible for me to find an exact location as he moves around alot, is this going to make it hard for me to even file?
Yes, it will make it harder. Likely you would require a 'service by publication'.

Will his social security number help me at all in this?
It could help a PI to locate him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">