• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lent Ring Becomes Stolen Ring

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MLP

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

A relative lent a ring, that had been given to her son from her husband's father when he was alive, to her brothr-in-law (BIL) because he asked to keep it for a while. She thought due to sentiment, she would be nice about it. The BIL said many times he would give it back but now refuses. My relative wants the ring back for her son, who is the rightful owner. I am witness to a phone conversation with the BIL where he promises to give the ring back soon. Many attempts were made to get the ring. The BIL says the relative can have it when he dies.... There is no trust between these families and my relative wants it back now. Is this win-able? Does she her son have a claim to the ring if there is nothing in writing? Would her son have to be the one who files the claim or can my relative do that since she is the one who lent the ring?

JETX

Is this win-able?
It could be.

Does she her son have a claim to the ring if there is nothing in writing? Would her son have to be the one who files the claim or can my relative do that since she is the one who lent the ring?
The OWNER of the property (ring) can sue the person who has the ring. Most states restrict small claims to monetary issues only, however, it appears that Virginia small claims can also hear issues of property return.

I suggest the OWNER of the ring make a written demand (certified RRR) and detail the specifics of the loan and the expected return. Close with a POLITE 'request' for return of the property within a specified time (10 days from receipt?). If not returned within the allotted time, next step should be to small claims court to file.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

A relative lent a ring, that had been given to her son from her husband's father when he was alive, to her brothr-in-law (BIL) because he asked to keep it for a while. She thought due to sentiment, she would be nice about it. The BIL said many times he would give it back but now refuses. My relative wants the ring back for her son, who is the rightful owner. I am witness to a phone conversation with the BIL where he promises to give the ring back soon. Many attempts were made to get the ring. The BIL says the relative can have it when he dies.... There is no trust between these families and my relative wants it back now. Is this win-able? Does she her son have a claim to the ring if there is nothing in writing? Would her son have to be the one who files the claim or can my relative do that since she is the one who lent the ring?
What did the police say when the ring owner reported that it had been stolen?

JETX

What did the police say when the ring owner reported that it had been stolen?
Probably.... "Do you know that you can be charged with filing a false report!!!"

Guess you overlooked where the OP said, "A relative lent a ring to her brothr-in-law (BIL) because he asked to keep it for a while."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">