• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out of the state?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Beechy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

My husband and I have been married for 3 years, and have two children. (5 and 17 months) Im looking to file for a divorce and want to move to a different state. Im hoping to keep this civil as I can't afford representation but he will get free legal aid as he is military. We have no real assets. We bought a home two years ago. I am not on the loan but am on the deed to the house. He already refinanced and now the loan amount is more than the original amount (dont ask me why, i didnt agree!) We each have our own cars. Joint checking/savings acct. We both work. He has a CC in his name that we have both used although I am not an authorized user on the acct. And he also has a CC in his name for a store that I shop at. Im more than willing to pay for what I need to pay for as far as our debts go, but what I am concerned with is will I be or can he force me to stay in this state, even after the divorce is final?

Oh, and I am hoping to have full physical custody.

Just Blue

My husband and I have been married for 3 years, and have two children. (5 and 17 months) Im looking to file for a divorce and want to move to a different state. Im hoping to keep this civil as I can't afford representation but he will get free legal aid as he is military. We have no real assets. We bought a home two years ago. I am not on the loan but am on the deed to the house. He already refinanced and now the loan amount is more than the original amount (dont ask me why, i didnt agree!) We each have our own cars. Joint checking/savings acct. We both work. He has a CC in his name that we have both used although I am not an authorized user on the acct. And he also has a CC in his name for a store that I shop at. Im more than willing to pay for what I need to pay for as far as our debts go, but what I am concerned with is will I be or can he force me to stay in this state, even after the divorce is final?

Is your hubby deployable? Can you afford to pay for ALL transportation for the children to visit with their Dad? Why is it you want to move the children away from their father?

LdiJ

You stated that dad is military. Is he deployable or likely to be deployed regularly? Is he likely to be transfered regularly? If the answer to both of those questions is no, then yes, he might be able to keep you from moving out of state with the children.

Just Beechy

Right now, he is on shore duty. So he is not deployable. But he will be shifting back to sea duty at the end of next year. And he will most likely be going on a deployment shortly after.

I want to be closer to my family. I also cant afford prices where we currently live. Moving closer to my family means a support system for me and the boys and a reduced cost of living.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Im hoping to keep this civil as I can't afford representation but he will get free legal aid as he is military. .
Just wanted to point out that any "free legal aid" he might receive ISN'T from the military. The JAG office does not represent service members in civil actions. At the most, they'll give some guidance, but usually they'll just hand the troop a list of civilian divorce attorneys in the area. In other words, he has to get his own attorney.

Just Beechy

Just wanted to point out that any "free legal aid" he might receive ISN'T from the military. The JAG office does not represent service members in civil actions. At the most, they'll give some guidance, but usually they'll just hand the troop a list of civilian divorce attorneys in the area. In other words, he has to get his own attorney.

Really? Thanks, I had no idea. I was under the impression he would get representation from them. That's definitely good news! :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">