• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Association Rules Concerning Renting...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Asterix

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Back in November 2007, My wife and I bought a condo unit in Bellflower Terrace in Mentor, Ohio. About a year after we purchased, the association proposed and voted on prohibiting unit owners from renting thier units out. Unfortunately, it passed and was put into effect. The explaination for this rule stemmed from the idea that the association wants only owners occupying the units and wanted to keep out renters. I purchased this unit prior to the proposed ammendment and did actually vote no on this. In October 2008, I moved to North Carolina for employment with the federal government. So the unit is sitting vacant now. I would imagine having the units occipied would be better than empty. My question: Is this legal to prevent unit owners from renting? And, what is the worst that could happen if rent it out anyways due to financial hardships?

Scott

FarmerJ

If bylaws, rules, covenants , what ever you want to call them are worded in such a way that they permit a HOA/Condo board to create new rules that are enforceable on all units in a association then there is little else you can do. Carefully review all your documents pertaining to the unit and if there is any part of them you do not understand use the links above to speak with a atty who can help go over them with you so you do understand them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">