• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

interview questions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mishu

a fellow employee and myself, during a recent interview for a management position where we are already employed, were asked some questions that we felt uncomfortable answering.

Question? How long is your husband stationed here for (we are military)?
Question? Do you own or rent your home?
Question? Do you feel that the board members micro-manage the facility?
Question? We've heard RUMORS that you have had past problems with your marriage and you had to take a weeks leave. Will this effect your job in the future?

Are these questions legal?

A

Always searching

The thing that caught my eye was that you are already working there and they know your history. No the questions are not legal but looking at your for a promotion or another position, they want to be sure that you will be able to continue employment for a long period of time. You may have been uncomfortable but it wasn't sexually oriented questions or strange questions. I would like to believe that the questions are intended for your betterment as well as theirs. They don't want to invest a lot of money and time in growing you in this new larger position for you to say, Hey, I'm outta here, hubby is out of the service. After living in a military town for 6 years, I understand their concern. If you own your home, you intend on staying there. Renting towards buying means that you have a probable intention of staying put. The marriage question is the only one that really might rattle my cage, personally. I would have been tempted for them to tell me exactly what they heard and who from. This probably would be difficult without sounding argumentative. A polite answer that was short and to the point would be adequate to squelch their fears about handling the job. "My husband and I have worked out our differences and everything is wonderful at home. We will be celebrating our wedding anniversary in June and I would like to be able to take a week off for a cruise. Would that be possible? Get the person thinking another direction. Thinking on your feet like that is difficult sometimes. I personally wouldn't press the issue if you really want the job. Sure an employment attorney (and there are many who would love to take this sort of problem) would fight for you, but what would you have to gain? Weigh the options before you voice your displeasure. I always feel that if you persue the interviewer's position, you then can change things.

I drove by a place this morning that I had applied for a job around 6 years ago. On this business application, it required the year, make and model of the car you drove and how many vehicles you owned. What did your husband do and how much annual income he made. I read and read and thought, this is a bunch of crap and thought I didn't want to work there anyway. I went up to the desk and asked the receptionist that if the owner would tell me the size of his penis, I would be happy to tell him all my personal information too. He came out of his office and we had a few words-I took a copy of his application to the labor board and sent it to the EEOC and I would be willing to bet his application process has changed.

So in conclusion, if you want the job, answer the questions short and polite and if it doesn't matter, then go for the jugglar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">