• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Change of Venue for Divorce Modification/Parenting Plan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ember_0611

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

I have been divorced for 6 years from my first husband with whom I have 4 children. I have since remarried and moved to a different city/county. He has also moved to a different city/county. We do still both reside in Utah. Three of the children live with me currently and one lives with him. I am trying to find out how to file a change of venue. To make a long story short, we are having parenting plan issues and I would like to change the venue to where the children and I currently live. I was told by a lawyer that it could be done, I just don't know how to go about it. I have been able to find a lot of the paperwork for what I am dealing with online and file it myself, but this is one I cannot figure out. Can anyone help or point me in the right direction? Even a copy of a motion that I could possibly look at? Thanks!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

Ask the lawyer who told you it could be done.

Frankly, you're going to need a pretty good reason. After 6 years, how are you going to justify changing the status quo?

LdiJ

Ask the lawyer who told you it could be done.

Frankly, you're going to need a pretty good reason. After 6 years, how are you going to justify changing the status quo?
She didn't say what she wanted to change, other than venue...why do you think it has anything to do with status quo? Neither of them live in the original county therefore venue does have to change.

mistoffolees

She didn't say what she wanted to change, other than venue...why do you think it has anything to do with status quo? Neither of them live in the original county therefore venue does have to change.
Because:

1. She said they are having parenting plan issues.

2. Why would they want to change the venue if they didn't want to make any changes?

ember_0611

I am wanting to change the venue to the county we live in. We have a pending modification filed with the court and are at the mediation step. It is time consuming and difficult to get to the court when I need to. That is why I want the change. If I want to retain the attorney I spoke with it will cost more if it stays in the current county, whereas if I get it changed it will not be nearly as costly for me. I am having to watch every penny because my ex has not paid child support since June. This is why I am trying to do as much as possible on my own before I have to retain the services of an attorney.

LdiJ

I am wanting to change the venue to the county we live in. We have a pending modification filed with the court and are at the mediation step. It is time consuming and difficult to get to the court when I need to. That is why I want the change. If I want to retain the attorney I spoke with it will cost more if it stays in the current county, whereas if I get it changed it will not be nearly as costly for me. I am having to watch every penny because my ex has not paid child support since June. This is why I am trying to do as much as possible on my own before I have to retain the services of an attorney.
Venue should change to the county where the children currently reside. You would be better served to have an attorney handle the change in venue. Although, if you are already at the mediation stage, it may be more difficult to get the venue changed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">