• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plaza409

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? My son's stepson is 20 years old and lives at home (NJ) with his mom and stepdad. He chooses not to have auto insurance because he can't afford it, he dropped it after he registered his car. If he injures someone in an accident can the injured party go after his mom and stepdad? My son seems to think that since his stepson is over 18, he would be completely responsible.

FlyingRon

He is required to carry Liability, PIP, and uninsured motorist coverage if he's going to have a car. He will not pass inspection without insurance coverage. Further he's liable for tickets and surcharges if he's stopped by the police or is involved in an accident if he doesn't have it.

He should have been informed by the insurance company of this when he canceled his policy. Further, they will within a month let the state know that coverage is dropped. The next sound he will hear will be his registration also being canceled.

ecmst12

In NJ, you can get dollar-a-day insurance (which is only PIP coverage) and at least then you are legal to drive. It's a bad idea since it has no liability coverage, but again, at least he'd be legal.

It is POSSIBLE that mom/stepdad could be NAMED in a lawsuit for an accident that he has, because they are all in the same household. While it is not very likely they'd be found liable, they would still have to defend themselves from the suit, which would be an expense which may or may not be covered by THEIR current auto insurance.

Bottom line, they need to make sure kiddo gets insurance or they need to notify the DMV so they can take his tags.

FlyingRon

That's not quite right. Dollar a day (Special Auto Insurance Policy) is only available to certain people (medicaid recipients), I doubt the kid qualfiies.

The Basic Auto Insurance Policy which is the cheapest way to legally get on the road for most includes $5000 property damage liability (probably not enough) as well as the PIP.

ecmst12

Ah I didn't realize only certain people qualified for it. If it's income-related though, the kid might qualify.

steel9

I think their is a min age requirement for low income auto ins. I cant see a 18 yr old male getting any insurance for $30.00 month. They are VERY high risk.

plaza409

auto insurance

Thanks for the info., its been 2 months and he hasn't heard anything from the state as of yet, not doing their job as usual. So he figures he can get away with driving without coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">